Would you like to know the secret of Italian rustic focaccia? Read this article and we will reveal you the special ingredient. You will learn, step by step, how to get the best and softest rustic focaccia.
The best rustic focaccia has a thick, soft soul ; ) Beautiful to see and to taste, but not so simple to prepare. The sourdough products are more complicated than you might think, they need a lot of experience. But we’ll give you some crucial tips, even if you are a beginner in the kitchen.
The secret of Italian focaccia, soft and thich
Do you want to get a “focaccia” like ones you see in this article pics? The secret ingredient is not “experience”, it is a real ingredient, not used for making other bread bases or pizzas. This ingredient is: boiled potatoes.
That’s right, you need to add boiled potatoes to the flour. That’s what you need to get a very soft “focaccia”, with real Italian style. Very soft and yummy. Mashed potatoes make the dough being softer than usual.
Ingredients for the soft Italian Focaccia
You need these ingredients to realize a focaccia, using a 40 cm round baking pan.
- 1 yeast cube
- 200 gr. 00 type flour
- 400 gr. semolina flour
- 1 potato (about 150 gr. to boil)
- 400 gr. water
- 40 g. extravergine olive oil for mixture + for seasoning
- 15 gr. sugar
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 20 gr. coarse salt
- Cherry tomatoes
- Black olives
- Fine salt
How to prepare the soft Italian Focaccia
1. Put the potato to boil then mash it and mix with two other flours, add salt, sugar, 40 gr. of oil and yeast.
2. Mix vigorously until the dough is well blended. The dough must be compact and sticky. If it is too hard, you can add a little of warm water or a drop of milk. Make the dough rest for 10 minutes.
3. Grease the bottom of a round baking pan, and spread the dough by pressing with fingertips creating dimples (but not squeeze too much).
4. Cover the focaccia with a cloth or plastic wrap and let it rise for 1 hour in a warm, dry place.
5. Take tomatoes, and cut in half.
6. When the dough has risen, put tomatoes and olives and add a pinch of salt, pepper and origan. Finally, add the olive oil and bake at 200 degrees for 30-35 minutes.