Lady kisses, a delicious different way to give a warm, sweet kiss to someone you love.
Superlative biscuits, “Baci di Dama” letterally means “lady kisses” in Italian. They are itty-bitty hazelnut cookies filled with dark chocolate.
The story of “Lady kisses” biscuits
“Baci di Dama” recipe appeared in the pastry shops of Tortona towards the end of the 1800s. Their origin story is unclear, but they are so named because they’re said to resemble a woman’s pursed lips or two mouths kissing.
Are you ready to prepare your “Baci di Dama”? I can give you some suggestion:
1) If you follow classic recipes, they recommend to bake “lady kisses” bases for various times between 10-14 minutes (but attention, 10 mins can be too few –> soft cookies and 14 mins too many –> overbaking problem). First times you’ll need to try and check.
2) If your dough is too dry, you can add extra water, or if you like you can melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add about half of it to your dough while kneading it, which made it softer and slightly more cohesive.
3) It’s also important to make sure you don’t have air bubbles when rolling the tiny balls, which may also contribute to collapsed cookies.
4) You can considered also trying a different recipe. Baci di dama can be made with hazelnuts or almonds, or a combination thereof. Some recipes use regular flour, while others use rice flour, which is supposed to give them a nice crispness.
Watch the video and learn how to prepare “lady kisses”
Baci di dama are perfect for snacking and impossibly addictive. They also make a lovely gift if you pack them up in a clear bag and tie it with a ribbon.
Ingredients for your Italian “Lady kisses”
- 100 grams hazelnuts flour
- 100 grams 00 type flour
- 100 grams sugar
- 100 grams potato flour
- 100 grams butter
- 2 egg yolks
- 50 grams dark chocolate
- 10 grams cocoa powder
Try your best. Hope you enjoy this wonderful Italian recipe!