The “sbriciolata” with apples, is a really delicious cake. Easy to realize, healthy, the perfect sweet to prepare and eat, day by day, for breakfast or for a coffee break.
A lot of crumbs for making a rustic pastry, for a very healthy cake. The name “crumbled” comes from the way you prepare it, breaking the base up in crumbs, you make the base more brittle and good to taste (compared to some tarts that often remain hard and heavy).
Ingredients for the rustic “sbriciolata”
There are ingredients for a 24 centimeters pan.
- 230 grams flour (better if whole wheat)
- 50 grams hazelnuts flour (or chopped hazelnuts)
- 100 grams butter
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 80 ml cold water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- a pinch of cinnamon
- olive oil (to brush the mold/pan)
Ingredients for the filling:
- 4 apples
- 50 grams brown sugar
- 30 grams butter
- a pich of cinnamon
- half lemon
- icing sugar for garnish
- (opzional) chopped hazelnuts or almond flakes for garnish
How to prepare the rustic “sbriciolata”
1. Take a lemon and squeeze it into a bowl, add cold water.
2. Peel the apples and cut them into cubes, then put all into the water with lemon (until apples turn in black).
3. Take a pan, make melt butter and add apples, then add 30 grams of sugar and a pinch of cinnamon. Blend all well and cook over, high heat, for 10 minutes.
4. Get a bowl and pour the whole wheat flour, the hazelnut one (or chopped hazelnuts), sugar, butter (cut into small pieces), cinnamon, salt, baking powder and egg yolks. Mix well together with your fingers. Combine the water (whole wheat flour will require more), and mix well. In the end, crunch it into crumbs (with your hands).
5. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Brush the pan / the mold with olive oil.
6. Take about 2/3 of the crumbled compound and place it on the mold’s bottom. You are creating the base of your tart. Pour the cooked apples and distribute them over the whole base. Take the remaining 1/3 of compound to put on the apples, you need to cover them.
7. Bake your own rustic “sbriciolata” (the crumbled) for about 20-25 minutes, take it off when you see the surface is browning.
8. Whip and let it rest. Before eating, you can top with:
- icing sugar
- chopped hazelnuts
- flaked almonds
- diced fresh apple
- fresh whipped cream